Elective Courses Year 9-10
Students will complete THREE electives in Year 9 and 10 – TWO from Group A and ONE from Group B.
Group A Electives
- Design and Technology
- Elective Geography
- Elective History
- Food Technology
- Graphics Technology
- Industrial Technology – Engineering
- Industrial Technology – Timber
- Information Software and Technology
- Photographic and Digital Media
- Physical Activity and Sports Studies (PASS)
- Visual Arts
- Work Education
These electives are two-year courses, and boys cannot change them between Year 9 and 10.
Group B Electives
- 12 Ideas that changed the world: An introduction to big philosophical ideas that have made us who we are
- Adventure: Thinking about the outdoors in a different way
- Artificial Intelligence: The practice, programming and ethics of letting technology think and feel
- Coding and Robotics: Building the skills to make things happen
- The Concordia Project: Creative processes and event management skills practically applied to managing an art gallery
- Global Sport: The business and industry of sport in the twenty-first century
- Hands on History: Leisure, games and sieges through the ages
- To Infinity and beyond: An applied mathematics program
- La Dolce Vita: An introduction to Italian society, culture and language
- The Lab: Creative approaches to design thinking and problem solving
- Lifestyle and Leisure Technology: Alternative technologies and design in practice in the workshops
- Making the news: The practice, ethics and skills of current affairs journalism
- Oh the places you will go: A deep-dive into travel and tourism
- Practically speaking: Four terms, an introduction to four new languages of the class’s choice
- The Three Ps: Art in practice in new ways
- Revue-ing the situation: Musical theatre with a satirical twist
- Spaceship Earth: Sustainability and ethics in a global society
- Space: All things astronomical, sci-fi, and ethical about our engagement beyond the earth
- The (not-so-much) Heroes of History: An exploration of the big personalities in history that might not have been all they seemed
- Thinkquest: An extension humanities course
- Walking on Earth: A different way of thinking through indigenous issues in modern Australia
- What’s the Problem: Creative and Critical Thinking in the Arts
- Sports Media and Journalism
These new electives are only one year courses and all linked to the content and skills in Year 11 and Year 12.
Boys will be given an opportunity in 2018 to select a new elective for Year 10 2019.
It is important to note that classes will only be formed if viable numbers exist, and in some cases class numbers will be capped due to access to specialist facilities.
As a result there is no guarantee that all subjects listed in this booklet will be offered in Year 9 2018. Whilst every attempt is made to satisfy as many of the boys’ choices as possible, certain subject combinations may not be possible.