Often seen as an individual sport, there is great camaraderie amongst the Newington swim team both in preparation training and during competition.
Newington Swimming Program
Through dedication and hard work, Newington’s swim team has gone from strength to strength.
Our swimmers have the privilege to train at our onsite, indoor, heated 25-metre pool that is made available to the AAGPS each year to host one of the two warm-up carnivals before boys compete in the three main carnivals at SOPAC.
In 2017, Newington won the AAGPS Senior Swimming Premiership for the second year running. Newington also secured the AAGPS Open Relays Trophy winning 5 out of the 6 races in that particular competition. 16 members of the Newington team were selected in the Combined AAGPS team to compete at the CIS Swimming Championships.
Jason Hartill, the 2017 captain of swimming, won two senior swimming gold medals for the fastest times recorded in the 50m Backstroke and 50m Butterfly during the season. Four of Newington’s top swimmers broke a total of 13 records during Term 1. Jack Rudkins (16 Years 100m Freestyle), Luca Polvere (17 Years Freestyle, Breaststroke and Butterfly), Christopher Mina (14 Years Butterfly) and Jason Hartill (17 Years Butterfly) all rewrote the AAGPS and Newington record books.
Winter Swim Club
- Swim Club was introduced as a Winter sport option in 2016.
- Swim Club gives students the opportunity to focus on improving their swimming ability regardless of their competency.
- A combination of beginner, intermediate and advanced swimmers are coached by a number of staff with current, nationally recognised qualifications.
- Boys are challenged to focus on improving stamina, fitness and technique during each training session.
- All training sessions are conducted in Newington’s own, onsite, indoor, heated, 25m swimming pool.
Three compulsory training sessions run from 7:00 AM – 8:00 AM on Monday and Wednesday mornings and from 7:00 AM – 9:00 AM on Saturday morning. Swim Club is offered to students from Year 8 to Year 12.