A Community of Language
Exploring how language works in different contexts. A Group B Elective.
Languages are integral to every community. This course will involve a study into the role of languages in the community and the importance of specific languages for the people who use them.
In this course, students will learn and achieve a Certificate in AUSLAN and explore the importance of AUSLAN in Australia and the benefits that learning AUSLAN can bring to all Australians. Students will also explore Braille and also the role and importance of non-verbal communication in all languages. Students will also have the opportunity to conduct some fieldwork research into a language and community of their choice.
Areas of Study:
- Non-verbal communication, including gesture and body language
- Fieldwork Research Skills
- Investigating and learning a language community of your own choice
Modes of Assessment
- Using languages
- Presentation of non-verbal communication
- Independent and collaborative projects
- Peer feedback
- Reflection and self-documentation of learning