Physical Activities and Sport Studies (PASS)
Group A Elective
Physical Activity and Sports Studies represents a broad view of physical activity and the many possible contexts in which individuals can build activity into their lifestyle. It incorporates a wide range of lifelong physical activities, including recreational, leisure and adventure pursuits, competitive and non-competitive games, individual and group physical fitness activities, and the use of physical activity for therapy and remediation.
At Newington College we actively promote the concept of learning through movement and many aspects of this course will be explored through participation in selected movement applications in which student’s experience, examine, analyse and apply new understanding. Students will be encouraged to specialise and study areas in depth, to work towards a particular performance goal, pursue a formal qualification or examine an issue of interest related to the physical, emotional, social, cultural or scientific dimensions of physical activity and sport.
Physical Activity and Sports Studies also promotes learning about movement and provides students with opportunities to develop their movement skills, analyse movement performance and assist the performance of others.
Students will appreciate the traditions and special characteristics associated with various physical activities and also the artistic and aesthetic qualities of skilled performance and determined effort.
Areas of Study
The content is organised in modules within the following three Areas of Study.
Foundations of Physical Activity
- Body systems and energy for physical activity
- Physical activity for health
- Physical fitness
- Fundamentals of movement skill development
- Nutrition and physical activity
- Participating with safety
Physical Activity and Sport in Society
- Australia’s sporting identity
- Lifestyle, leisure and recreation
- Physical activity and sport for specific groups,/span>
- Opportunities and pathways in physical activity and sport
- Issues in physical activity and sport
Enhancing Participation and Performance
- Promoting active lifestyles
- Enhancing performance – strategies and techniques
- Technology, participation and performance
- Event management