Years 7, 9 and 11
Halse Rogers Bursary or Scholarship
The Halse Rogers Bursary or Scholarship or for All-Round Achievement provides an excellent opportunity for boys with a balanced range of achievements, to benefit from becoming a member of the Newington community.
A Halse Rogers Bursary or Scholarship is aimed at genuine all-rounders. Newington College has long held that a most valuable education is an all-round and balanced one.
Halse Rogers Bursary and Scholarship recipients demonstrate commitment to the five Pillars of Distinction that set the focus for Newington College:
- Well-being, Character and Service
- Spirituality, Values and Ethics
- Co-curricular Engagement
- Community in Partnership
Funds for the Halse Rogers All-rounder Bursaries and Scholarships have come from the accumulation of a number of family named donations over the years. This includes the following benefactors – R Dyson, T Huff Johnston, M Hansen, P Lynch, D G F Hall, J D Cull, B Potts, A L Rigby, J A Somerville, G R Short, C J Prescott, E Grainger, W R Hyles, R T Baker, D M Bland, Rev M A Holliday, S Waterhouse, P de G Ellis, W P Crosby and B Broadhead.
How we Assess
In assessing each application, weight is given to the range of a boy’s achievements, with particular reference to:
- Strong academic merit – Boys applying will have strong reports and references from their school. All applicants are required to sit the Newington Bursary and Scholarship Examination. A demonstrated record of good academic progress, effort and potential will be required.
- Character and leadership attributes – Boys will demonstrate ability to lead and a ready willingness to participate in a variety of educational and College related activities.
- Strength in co-curricular activities – Boys will demonstrate their participation and achievement in one or more of the following College activities; drama, visual or performing arts, sporting or outdoor pursuits.
The College does not offer straight sporting Bursaries or Scholarships. The Halse Rogers criteria must be met and demand for places is very strong. They are awarded to boys in Years 7, 9 and 11.
Current Newington boys entering Years 7, 9 and 11 in 2019 are encouraged to apply.