Elective Courses Year 9-10
Students will complete three electives in Year 9 and 10 – two from Group A and one from Group B.
Group A Electives
- Design and Technology
- Elective Geography
- Elective History
- Food Technology
- Graphics Technology
- Industrial Technology – Engineering
- Industrial Technology – Timber
- Information Software and Technology
- Photographic and Digital Media
- Physical Activity and Sports Studies (PASS)
- Visual Arts
- Work Education
These electives are two-year courses, and boys cannot change them between Year 9 and 10.
Group B Electives
- 12 Ideas that changed the world: An introduction to big philosophical ideas that have made us who we are
- Adventure: Thinking about the outdoors in a different way
- Artificial Intelligence: The practice, programming and ethics of letting technology think and feel
- Coding and Robotics: Building the skills to make things happen
- Dance: A Hands-on Introduction to the Practice and Place of Dance
- Decrypting Language: Delve into decoding languages, the field of linguistics
- Global Sport: The business and industry of sport in the twenty-first century
- Great Write Sharks: Writing the stories that can be written
- Hands on History: Leisure, games and sieges through the ages
- It’s All In Your Mind: An Introduction to Psychology
- Just for the Record: The path to a hit
- La Dolce Vita: An introduction to Italian society, culture and language
- Making the News: The practice, ethics and skills of current affairs journalism
- Prototyping: Fail faster, succeed sooner
- Revue-ing the situation: Using the Performing Arts for Social Commentary
- Space: All things astronomical, sci-fi, and ethical about our engagement beyond the earth
- Sports Media and Journalism: Writing and producing compelling stories for different sporting audiences
- The Big History Project: examining the history of the Universe using disciplines such as astronomy, chemistry, biology and history
- The Lab: Creative approaches to design thinking and problem solving
- The Three Ps: Art in practice in new ways
- To Infinity and beyond: An applied mathematics program
- Walking on Earth: A different way of thinking through indigenous issues in modern Australia
- What’s the Problem: Creative and Critical Thinking in the Arts
These new electives are only one year courses and all linked to the content and skills in Year 11 and Year 12.
Boys will be given an opportunity in 2020 to select a new elective for Year 10 2021.
It is important to note that classes will only be formed if viable numbers exist, and in some cases class numbers will be capped due to access to specialist facilities.
As a result there is no guarantee that all subjects listed will be offered in Year 9 2020. Whilst every attempt is made to satisfy as many of the boys’ choices as possible, certain subject combinations may not be possible.