With twenty-eight electives to choose from, our students can play to their individual strengths, interests, and abilities.
Students will complete three electives in Year 9 and 10.
There are three groups of electives to choose from, and students can choose to study a combination of electives from these groups.
- NESA Electives
- Newington Electives (only one per year)
- Cambridge IGCSE Electives (New for 2024!)
For example, a student may choose to study:
- Three NESA Electives
- Two NESA Electives and one Newington Elective
- Two NESA Electives and one Cambridge IGCSE Elective
- Two Cambridge IGCSE Electives and one NESA Elective
- Two Cambridge IGCSE Electives and one Newington Elective.
These are NESA developed courses which students will typically study across Years 9 and 10.
These are one-year programs, developed at Newington by our expert teachers. If students select a Newington Elective for study in Year 9, they will have the option to choose either another Newington elective for Year 10, or they may join a NESA Elective for Year 10.
Cambridge IGCSE Electives
These are two-year internationally recognised courses which will culminate in an external examination in October/November 2025.
All electives offered are linked to content and skills that are key to success in Years 11 and 12.
- Aboriginal Studies
- Design and Technology – Materials
- Design and Technology – Multimedia
- Global Studies
- Elective History
- Food Technology
- Industrial Technology – Engineering
- Industrial Technology – Timber
- Information Software and Technology
- Photographic and Digital Media
- Physical Activity and Sports Studies (PASS)
- Visual Arts
- Great Write Sharks: Writing the stories that can be written
- It’s All In Your Mind: An Introduction to Psychology
- Just for the Record: A deep-dive into the composition and production of contemporary music
- Revue-ing the situation: The performing arts for satire and social commentary
- Space: All things astronomical, sci-fi, and ethical about our engagement beyond the earth
- Walking on Earth: A different way of thinking through indigenous issues in modern Australia
Cambridge IGCSE Electives
- Enterprise: A unique subject that brings the world of business into the classroom and gives learners a clear insight into what it means to think like an entrepreneur
- Physics: Learners grow to understand the technological world in which they live and take an informed interest in science and scientific developments.
It is important to note that classes will only be formed if viable numbers exist, and in some cases class numbers will be capped due to access to specialist facilities.
As a result there is no guarantee that all subjects listed will be offered in Year 9 2024. Whilst every attempt is made to satisfy as many of the boys’ choices as possible, certain subject combinations may not be possible.