Elective Courses Year 9-10
Students will complete three electives in Year 9 and 10 – two from Group A and one from Group B.
Group A Electives are two-year programs, based on NESA Syllabus documents. It is not possible to change Group A Electives between Year 9 and Year 10
Group B Electives are one-year programs, developed here at Newington. Students will select a new Group B Elective for Year 10.
Group A Electives
- Design and Technology
- Elective Geography
- Elective History
- Food Technology
- Industrial Technology – Engineering
- Industrial Technology – Timber
- Information Software and Technology
- Photographic and Digital Media
- Physical Activity and Sports Studies (PASS)
- Visual Arts
- Work Education
These electives are two-year courses, and boys cannot change them between Year 9 and 10.
Group B Electives
- 12 Ideas that changed the world: An introduction to big philosophical ideas that have made us who we are
- Adventure: Thinking about the outdoors in a different way
- Artificial Intelligence: The practice, programming and ethics of letting technology think and feel
- Coding and Robotics: Building the skills to make things happen
- Dance: A practical introduction to dance in all its forms
- A Community of Language: A dive into alternative language, including the chance to learn AUSLAN
- Global Sport: The business and industry of sport in the twenty-first century
- Great Write Sharks: Writing the stories that can be written
- Hands on History: Leisure, games and sieges through the ages
- It’s All In Your Mind: An Introduction to Psychology
- Just for the Record: A deep-dive into the composition and production of contemporary music
- Pop Culture: Exploring the phenomena of global pop cultures, including Manga, Anime, Bollywood, and K-Pop.
- Making the News: The practice, ethics and skills of current affairs journalism
- Prototyping: A design course in failing faster and succeeding sooner
- Revue-ing the situation: The performing arts for satire and social commentary
- Space: All things astronomical, sci-fi, and ethical about our engagement beyond the earth
- Sports Media and Journalism: Writing and producing stories for different sporting audiences
- The Big History Project:Examining the history of the universe in a transdisciplinary way
- Architecture: Design thinking and problem solving in urban contexts
- The Three Ps: Art in practice in new ways
- To Infinity and beyond: An applied mathematics program
- Walking on Earth: A different way of thinking through indigenous issues in modern Australia
- What’s the Problem: Creative and critical thinking in a visual arts framework
These new electives are only one year courses and all linked to the content and skills that are key to success in Year 11 and Year 12.
Boys will be given an opportunity in 2021 to select a new elective for Year 10 2020.
It is important to note that classes will only be formed if viable numbers exist, and in some cases class numbers will be capped due to access to specialist facilities.
As a result there is no guarantee that all subjects listed will be offered in Year 9 2021. Whilst every attempt is made to satisfy as many of the boys’ choices as possible, certain subject combinations may not be possible.