Wet Weather Guidelines at Newington
What to do when there is wet weather
- All boys are expected to meet under the Space Frame when there is wet weather
- Some boys will train, others will go to video rooms to review games or be coached on their sport in a classroom environment
- We have limited undercover facilities and these will be allocated as deemed appropriate
Extreme Weather Conditions
Extreme weather conditions include rain, heat, air quality and wind.
Newington will only cancel training/games when the weather makes play unsafe. Extreme weather conditions include:
- Air quality
Newington College will inform parents of cancellations due to extreme weather conditions via SMS and on SPACES before 1:30 PM. Students will be notified by lunch time. The Library will be made available to students who require supervision until the time sport training was scheduled to finish (eg. 5:00 PM).
- In the case of inclement weather conditions on Saturdays, please contact the Wet Weather phone number 02 9432 1222
- We will communicate any game cancellations at approximately 7:00 AM (morning fixtures) and 11:00 AM (afternoon fixtures)
- We apologise to those parents who are inconvenienced by this approach for inclement weather cancellations.
Unfortunately our aim to maximise playing opportunities over a large number of venues means that decisions can only be made on a case by case basis. Fixtures will be updated on SPACES at the same time here.
Lightning and Thunder Guidelines
Our lightning and safety code is based on the 30/30 rule which calls for all play to be stopped when the lightning/thunder ratio reaches 30 seconds or less (ie. the time between when a lighting flash is followed by the sound of thunder is 30 seconds or less).
What does this mean?
- When the 30 second ratio has been reached, this means that the lightning is 10 km away and the next strike has a “significant risk” of hitting the people who have seen the lightning and heard the thunder
- All participants must be aware that in the event of lightning, play must not resume until 30 minutes after the last lightning strike and thunder
- All play must cease immediately if there is hail. All students, coaches, spectators should seek cover immediately.