Boys of any age can compete in Snowsports at Newington
Newington Snowsports Program
The program includes the following events:
- Snowboard GS – Snowboarding on a downhill slalom slope.
- Snowboard Cross – Snowboarding through a course with jumps, turns and berms.
- Alpine Downhill – Skiing on a downhill slalom slope.
- Skier Cross – Skiing through a course with jump, turns and berms
- Moguls – A difficult discipline involving navigating a course with a series of bumps followed by a jump.
- Cross Country – A fast-growing event involving cross-country skiing over an undulating course.
Training and Competition
The boys involved in the Snowsports program have two options in regard to training;
- Take advantage of the training programs run via Interschools on the days and weeks prior to the competition.
- Register their interest to attend the Virtual Reality Ski Trainer facility at Off-Piste located at Moore Park.
- Ski to Skate programs run through Skater HQ to be held at the school.
- Participation in some of the many Snow Sports programs offered and held by the two main ski resorts in NSW, Perisher Blue as well as Thredbo.
Competition begins with the annual Sydney Interschools Championships which take place on the third week of the winter holidays at either Perisher or Thredbo (rotating on a bi-annual basis). Boys travel down and stay with their families and then report to the staff on the mountain who will help marshal them for their respective events.