A summer sport with a rich tradition at Newington.
Newington Cricket Program
A foundation sport at Newington, cricket aims to create an environment which engages boys in a game that is contemporary yet seeks to uphold traditional values.
Training and Competition
Boys of all ages & skill levels are invited to learn how to play cricket in its various formats. In the Spring and Summer terms training is conducted twice per week with interschool matches on Saturdays.
Newington provides cricket facilities including:
5 turf wickets
15 synthetic nets
- 3 natural turf nets plus access to S&C amenities as part of the Taylor Sports Centre.
Regular [in-season] competition involves fixtures against other GPS and independent school on Saturdays. Cricket also provides opportunities to tour domestically &/or internationally.
- Dominic O’Shannessy; Australian Under 17 XI [Played in 2018-19 National Under 19 Championship]
- Dominic O’Shannessy; NSW CIS [Winner of 2018 NSW All Schools Open Cricket Championship]
- Tom Whitnall & Tom Whitnall; 2018 Combined GPS XI vs ISA, CAS & ASC
- Lachie Bird; Cricket NSW 15 Years Academy
- Edson Whattam; Cricket NSW 14 Years Academy
- Lawrence Neil-Smith [ON17]; Australian Under 19 XI vs Pakistan & Tasmania Tigers – Contracted Player